Thursday 15 September 2011

Week full of soup

Even though it's only 2 soups, it has lasted me most of the week.

Soup # 1 - Chicken Soup
So Monday afternoon I started to feel like I was coming down with a cold.  Since there was no way I could have come into contact with onions, it must have been the real thing.  So I went home and made myself some chicken soup and went to bed at 9 pm.

  • brown rice
  • wild rice
  • quinoa (black and white)
  • chicken cut into pieces 
  • carrots
  • spices: turmeric, cayenne, pepper and salt (if I remember right)
  • I also used some frozen chicken stock (likely had carrots, celery, chicken bones, parsley, thyme, oregano)

Note: do not keep the soup at boiling for very long or the wild rice will explode, should cook for at least 35 min to cook all the rice and quinoa
Chicken Soup
It seemed to do the trick, I didn't get a cold and the leftovers sure are yummy!

Soup # 2 - Savory Pumpkin Bacon Soup
Tuesday I came home from a frigid game of soccer and decided that I wanted pumpkin soup with bacon and cheese.

  • cook bacon and cut into pieces, remove from pan
  • 1 can pureed pumpkin
  • soy milk to get right consistency (this was pretty thick, kinda like a stew)
  • whatever veggies I had on hand (zucchini, mushroom, snap peas)
  • spices to taste (sage, cumin, nutmeg, coriander, pepper, salt)
  • bacon
  • stir in "cheese" (I used Daiya cheddar style shreds)

Pumpkin Soup (before cheese)
Looks a bit like reconstituted crap but is actually quite savory.

No comments:

Post a Comment